07 April 2011

Lean On Me


Lean on Me is based on the true story of Joe Clark, a man singularly responsible for turning a rough high school (and boy is it rough - in the first five minutes, we see a girl's clothes ripped off in plain sight of everyone and a teacher's head bashed in by a student) into a nice, clean place of learning. But his methods aren't exactly orthodox...

Morgan Freeman stars as Clark and he spends most of the movie yelling at people. Most scenes feature Clark either be rating students or teachers, usually with a bull horn in hand. If there's anyone who can pull off non-stop shouting, it's Freeman. I particularly enjoyed one sequence that has Clark screaming at a kid to jump off the roof of the high school, because if he keeps on doing drugs, he'll be dead soon anyway and at least this way is quick and painless. If that's not motivation, I don't know what it is.

As a future teacher, this movie sparks my determination to be a good teacher. How Clark handle the school and the students makes me think of how I would react to the same situation. Can I be good teacher like him?How can I educate my students not only in education but also in life?Being teachers is not easy.Watching this movie reminds me that there are still lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment